FaceBook

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Need Heat!



I detest asking for any kind of help when it's for personal reasons, but I don't have a choice.  With my health conditions, going outside in the winter is hard enough on me, let alone living in a cold house, without a working furnace.

A couple weeks ago I went to bed with the furnace working fine.  The next morning when I woke up, it was chilly in the house.  I turned up the heat to take the chill off, and nothing happened.  I then realized something was wrong with the furnace.  

I have a friend that lives in another state and her husband owns a HVAC shop.  Her husband called me, and tried to walk me through some steps to see if he could figure out what the problem was.  He deducted that it wasn't something simple and said I'd have to have a technician come look at it.

After posting on a local garage sale site, a certified technician said that he'd repair it for me, just for the cost of parts.  He finally was able to come look at it this past Monday.  It turns out that I need a new inducer motor, control board, and something with my vent for the poisonious gases.  He looked up the price of the parts in front of me, and they're around $900  ...and I do believe that was before taxes.  He said a brand new furnace would run about $2000.  

To say this made me physically sick, is an understatement.  I'm disabled due to chronic neuroimmune health conditions and I live off of $721 a month.  That barely runs my household and buys food.  It's impossible for me to come up with the money on my own.

I contacted our community agencies and there's only one program that could help me out, but I don't qualify because you have to have insurance on your home.  I bought this house at sheriff sale and due to the number of years it sat empty without insurance, plus it's age, the cheapest home insurance quote I could find, was $387 a month.  No way in the world I could afford that, so the house isn't insured.  

I'm using an electric space heater, which scares me to death that it will cause a fire, and an electric blanket.  The heater is keeping it about 56 degrees in here right now, and we have colder weather that moved in today.  Next Tuesday on my birthday, November 18th, the high is only going to be in the 20's.  I live in NW Ohio, and it get's cold here!  

If I can get the money to repair the furnace, I'll do that.  If donations exceed the repair and are enough to replace my old furnace, I'll replace it.  If there's anything beyond that, I'll fix the hole in the roof in my back room, that's letting cold air pour in through it.  

Please help me spread my campaign by sharing it across your social media networks. You can click HERE to view or donate to this campaign.  Thanks so much!

6 comments:

  1. Working on this. Don't forget to contact local churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweets. I've called the ones in my area and none of them help with a furnace, only utility bills and they are out of funds for that even.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Having a broken furnace in the winter can really be quite a problem. You shouldn't feel too bad about asking for help with its repair, though. I'm at least glad that you managed to get your hands on a temporary heater. I hope it gets fixed soon. Keep us updated, Amy. Take care! :)

    Melody Keller @ Mountaineer Heating & Cooling

    ReplyDelete
  3. The winter season can be a bother, indeed, or any imbalance in the climate for that matter. We should always be equipped with ways to redress that, which makes heaters more than a luxury. Anyway, I hope things are working out well enough for you at this point. All the best!

    Jodi Bennett @ Marsh Heating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! It can really be frustrating when you do not have a stable heating system during the winter season. It's also a total disturbance to have a heater that is quite dangerous, and can put a threat of burning your house at all costs. I just hope that you already have a furnace that is guaranteed and in very good condition. In any way, thank you for sharing that, Amy! All the best to you!

    Henrietta Fuller @ Bri-Tech HVAC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete