FaceBook

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fibromyalgia Numbness

For three straight days now, I've been dealing with numbness in my left hand and little finger.  I've read from multiple sources that fibromyalgia effects 3-5% of the population.  Out of that 3-5% that's effected, roughly a quarter of people suffer from fibromyalgia numbness.  Just my luck, to be in that quarter, out of the 3-5% of the fibro population. 

Everything I've read states that Fibromyalgia Numbness can affect any part of your body, including your face, but the most common areas for it to strike is the arms or hands and fingers.  Everything also states that it can last only a short while, or it can last forever.  There's nothing that can be done about it.  No medication to relieve this symptom.  Of course, they don't know "why" this happens.  Just that it's neurological.  One theory is that muscles that are tense and knotted, put pressure on a nerve to cause the numbness sensation.

The other day, it was just annoying.  Now, I'm past that annoying stage and I really don't like it one bit.  It interferes with my typing.  It feels weird.  I want it gone.  Even rubbing lotion on my hands a bit ago felt weird!

In 2008 the National Institutes of Health was expected to award $393 million dollars to study hypertension, while only awarding $9 million dollars to research fibromyalgia.  Based on a financial report from the NIH's website, U.S. government funding for fibromyalgia research ranks in the bottom 10%.  This saddens me, and pretty much assures me that I'll be living with fibromyalgia for the rest of my life.  I'm not hopeful for a cure to be found in my lifetime.  I am  hopeful though of getting the symptoms into remission, and maximizing that time that I have with it in remission.   

For now I'll keep on with the muscular and tendon pain, the sleep disturbances, the fibro fog, and the numbness along with everything else.  I'll keep my head up and keep hoping for a miracle breakthrough in private research.  What I want to know though, is that if I'm "lucky" enough with the numbness to hit 1/4 of the 3-5% that has fibro, why can't I hit the lottery??!

6 comments:

  1. Keep your head up! I know that mine is not as bad as yours and I am not looking forward to it getting as bad as you have it because I have been struggling with my hip now for weeks. I have the tingling in my feet though and it drives me insane. I hope you can get some sleep and your hands come back around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hon. I hope that you never progress to any worse than you currently are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining this as some days I am tingling all over and others my face and feet - doctors think I'm carzy ! Did not realize it could be fibro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Good, thanks for following along. I'm glad you were able to learn something off of my complaining lol. Rest assured, you aren't crazy. It really is called Fibromyalgia Numbness and is very real. My numbness in my hand is still here, but every day I hope when I wake, that it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I have has this in my arms and hands AND my stomach is numb, going on 3 weeks... Has anyone found a solution??? I am an illustrator I NEEEED my hands and this just isn't working. I can't stand it anymore.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenn,
    I'm sorry to hear that you're also dealing with the numbness. As you can see by my post, I started with the numbness around Feb. 23, and I hate to report that I still have it. It HAS gotten a lot better though. Now, the numbness is only in one finger (my little finger), and a little bit into my hand running down from my finger, and it isn't nearly as numb as it was in the beginning.

    Unfortunately, there isn't anything (that I've found after days & days of research) that will make the numbness go away. You just have to hope & pray that the symptoms don't last forever for you. Doctors don't know what causes it for sure, and they also don't have a treatment for it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news! Please feel free to also connect with all of us on this blog's facebook page, too. It's a place to vent, ask questions, and compare notes. We're getting close to 2000 "likers", so a large audience to try and connect with. You'll find it on FB, with the same name of this blog.

    ReplyDelete